University College of Medicine
Dr. Hunter Holmes McGuire and 26 prominent Richmond citizens organized the University College of Medicine (UCM) to keep students from leaving Virginia for their medical education and to fulfill the founders’ desires for a more rigorous education program. Located on Clay and 12th Streets, UCM opened in October 1893 with McGuire serving as president. The College had separate schools for medicine, dentistry, and pharmacy as well as a training school for nurses at Virginia Hospital.
UCM existed for 20 years until it consolidated with MCV in 1913, due in part to the increased financial strain at the college and the findings of the Flexner Commission report of 1910 which recommended a merger of the two schools.