Saint Philip School of Nursing
During the first quarter of the 20th century, physicans and hospital directors established nursing training programs or schools to provide staffing for their hospitals. The Medical College of Virginia needed nurses for the St. Philip Hospital when it opened in November 1920 and established a separate school of nursing for African American women. The Virginia Constitution of 1902 prohibited the education of whites and African Americans in the same school. The St. Philip School of Nursing prepared and educated nurses from 1920 until its closure in 1962.