Coleman’s Hotel - Colored - Special Attention to Tourists - Ashland, Virginia
Title: Coleman’s Hotel - Colored - Special Attention to Tourists - Ashland, Virginia
Creator: Coleman’s Hotel
Date: 1920, 1930
Source: African Americana Collection, L. Douglas Wilder Library, Virginia Union University, Richmond, VA
Publisher: Ashland, Virginia: Herald-Progress Print
Rights: This material is protected by copyright. You are permitted to use this material in any way that is permitted by copyright. In addition, non-commercial use of this material is permitted. For any commercial uses, permission is required. Acknowledgement of Virginia Union University Archives & Special Collections as a source is requested. https://rightsstatements.org/vocab/InC/1.0/
Description: The Coleman Hotel in Ashland, VA was built by an African-American couple, Mildred and John Coleman, in 1925-1926, who were proprietors of the hotel until 1938 when it was sold to the trustees of the South Anna Lodge No. 874 Of the Improved Benevolent Protective Order of Elks of the World. During the Jim Crow period, black-owned businesses placed signs in their windows to help African-American travelers find lodging without incident.
Subject: Advertising -- Hotels -- Posters; African Americans -- Segregation -- Virginia -- History -- 20th century
Contributor: L. Douglas Wilder Library, Virginia Union University
Citation: Coleman’s Hotel, “Coleman’s Hotel - Colored - Special Attention to Tourists - Ashland, Virginia,” VCU Libraries Gallery, accessed October 22, 2019, https://gallery.library.vcu.edu/items/show/110838.