VCU Libraries Gallery

Browse Items (61362 total)

This image shows the newly built MCV Library (left) and the Richmond Academy of Medicine (right). The two buildings were constructed in 1932 as part of a public-private partnership. VCU eventually purchased the RAM building when the organization…
TML_circa_1930s.jpg

A view of the MCV Library (also known as Tompkins-McCaw Library and Health Sciences Library) on the left, and the Richmond Academy of Medicine on the right.
TML_RAM_1930s.jpg

Dr. William Branch Porter named the first full-time professor of medicine at MCV in 1926.
porter wb.jpeg

MCV recognized the School of Nursing as a full collegiate school on the same level as Medicine, Dentistry, and Pharmacy in 1925. Elizabeth Reitz served as the school's first dean. Up to that point, the school was run by a director.
Reitz_Elizabeth.jpg

MCV's first hospital, situated near the Egyptian Building on Marshall Street, opened in 1861.
1897 First College Hospital.jpg
Output Formats

atom, dcmes-xml, json, omeka-xml, rss2